How to Get an Alaska Adjuster License

Author: Ethan Peyton

To get your Alaska Adjuster license, you’ll need to follow a few steps. These steps include taking an Alaska adjuster course, passing the state adjuster exam, filing your application and paying licensing fees, and submitting your fingerprints.

We’ve put together this step-by-step guide to ensure your licensing journey is as simple and inexpensive as possible. This guide also covers adjuster requirements and prerequisites along with steps to take after getting your license. 

Be sure to bookmark this page so you can reference the steps as you need them.


We recommend AdjusterPro adjuster courses to prepare for your exam. Alabama courses start at $179.

Alaska Adjuster License Requirements

Before you begin the steps to getting your Alaska adjuster license there’s a few requirements you’ll need to ensure you qualify.

  • You must be 18 years of age or older
  • You must be a resident of Alaska and currently residing in the state
  • You must be able to pass a background check (more info in step 4)
  • You must have six months of adjuster apprenticeship or out-of-state experience (more info in step 1)

Alaska Adjuster License Course

Before you apply for the license or take the exam, you’ll need to take an Alaska Adjuster License course.

This course will do a few things:

  1. Fill your required pre-license education hours
  2. Prepare you to pass the exam

Some courses offer not only test prep and pre-license credits, but instruction on the day-to-day operations and duties of an adjuster. If you don’t have any experience handling claims, it would be wise to consider these higher-level courses.


We recommend AdjusterPro as our adjuster course of choice. Courses start at $179.

How to Get an Alaska Adjuster License

To get an Alaska Adjuster license, you’ll complete your pre-education, pass the exam, file your application and fees, then complete your background check and fingerprints.

A common question we receive is: How much is the Alaska adjuster license? Prices will vary depending on the type of license, but the most common license will cost as little as $213.

Another common question is: How long does it take to get the Alaska adjuster license? If you take the proper time to study and pass the exam on your first attempt, the process should take around 3-4 weeks.

Step 1: Alaska Adjuster Experience

The Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development (DCCED) requires adjuster applicants to complete 6 months of on-the-job training (or prior experience) before applying or sitting for the exam.

There are several roles you can choose to pursue to meet this requirement: 

  • Independent adjuster trainee 
  • Insurance producer 
  • Managing general agent 
  • Reinsurance intermediary broker or manager 
  • Surplus lines broker 
  • Independent adjuster 
  • Underwriter or claims adjuster employee of insurer 


The most common way to satisfy this requirement is to get your Independent Adjuster Trainee License. This will allow you to legally work in the field with an experienced adjuster for the required 6 months.

Skip to step 3 if you haven’t yet filled this experience requirement.

Step 2: Alaska Adjuster Exam

Once you’ve completed your adjuster experience requirement, the next step is to pass the Alaska Adjuster Exam.

You can register and take the exam through Pearson VUE Alaska.

The price for each attempt of the exam is $89

You must score at least 70% on the exam to pass. 

As mentioned above, we recommend AdjusterPro’s courses to help you best prepare to pass your exam. The prices of these courses range depending on the provider and level of coursework, but generally start around $179.

Here’s what you need to know about your Alaska independent adjuster exam:

Adjuster License TypeCostQuestionsTime AllottedExam Outline
Independent Adjuster$89801 hour and 30 minutesExam Outline

Is the Alaska Adjuster Exam Hard?

A common question we receive is: Is the adjuster exam hard?

Difficulty is a subjective matter, but we answer this question with: Yes. The exam is intentionally tough.

Don’t let this discourage you. Keep in mind that most folks who take this exam haven’t taken any formal tests since high school or college. The state intentionally makes these tests difficult in the hopes of protecting the average citizen from working with adjusters who don’t understand the laws and guidelines surrounding insurance.

The key to passing the exam is to take your exam-prep course seriously and allow yourself time for in-depth study. 

Check out our Adjuster Exam Study Guide for tips and strategies to pass your exam on the first attempt.

Step 3: Alaska Adjuster Application – DCCED

Once you’ve passed your exam, the next step is to apply for your license.

The fee to submit an application is $75. 

Apply for your license using the NIPR Alaska Insurance Application page.


If you’re applying for a trainee license, be sure to select that option in the application.

Step 4: Submit Fingerprints

Once you’ve submitted your license application, the last step in the process is to complete your background check by submitting your fingerprints.

To conduct your background check, you will need to: 


Submitting your fingerprints will initiate a background check. If you have any past offenses on your record and are curious of your eligibility for an insurance license, reach out to the NIPR licensing department for clarification.

Application and Background Check Processing

Once you’ve completed all of the steps above you’ll just need to wait for the background check to come back and the licensing department to process all the paperwork. The DCCED will contact you if they need any supporting documentation or have any questions. Be sure to respond promptly to any requests.

If everything goes smoothly, you’ll receive a message from the licensing department within a week or so containing your license number and any other pertinent information. You can check the status of your license online on the NIPR website

Congratulations! You are now a licensed insurance adjuster in Alaska!

After Getting Your License

Now that you’re licensed, you can get to work! Most folks take one of two paths at this point. They choose to become an independent adjuster or a staff adjuster.

The main difference is that staff adjusters are employed by one firm, usually an insurance company, whereas independent adjusters operate as contractors, normally being “rostered” to multiple Independent Adjusting (IA) firms.

If you’re interested in becoming a staff adjuster, check out the current job openings on StateRequirement Jobs. If the independent adjuster role is more alluring (we think it is), check out AdjusterPro’s IA Directory.

Adjuster Certifications

To be considered a great candidate for IA firms or insurance companies, you’ll need to prove that you know how to actually work an insurance claim. Certifications show that you know your stuff and will give you a strong advantage over other candidates. 

While there are several adjuster certifications available, focus on Xactimate and Insurance Company certs first.

Xactimate Certifications

Xactimate is the industry standard software used by adjusters and insurance companies. There are three levels of certification offered by Xactimate

You should strongly consider levels one and two now, and look into level three after you’ve spent some time in the field.

Insurance Company Adjuster Certifications

Large insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate, Liberty Mutual, and others require that adjusters (staff or independent) get their specific certifications. 

To get these certs, you’ll need to be on the roster of an IA firm that works with that company. They offer courses to their adjusters throughout the year. Staff adjusters that work for the insurance company will be provided training and certification through their employer.

It’s widely accepted that State Farm’s adjuster certification is the most valuable insurance company cert. They are the largest insurer in the US, and therefore have more claims than other insurers.

Out-of-State and Reciprocal Licensing

Most claims, especially catastrophe (CAT) claims come from weather events. And since you can’t control the weather, you should get licenses in states outside your home state. These are called Non-Resident Adjuster Licenses.

IA firms are much more likely to both roster you and select you for work if you are licensed in states where they operate. If you’re already on a roster or two, talk with your contact there to see if they recommend a state to get licensed in.

The best states to start with are generally those that neighbor your home state. For Alaska, this includes:

  • Washington 
  • Oregon
  • Idaho
  • Montana

All these states offer what’s called reciprocation with Alaska. This means that you don’t need to take a pre-licensing course or pass an exam in order to get their license. All you need to do is apply, pay the fee, and you’ll be licensed quickly.

License Renewal and Continuing Education

The Alaska Adjuster License expires every two years on the last day of licensee’s birth month. To keep your license active, you must:

  • Complete 24 hours of continuing education (CE) coursework
  • Pay the renewal fee of $75

Any additional non-resident licenses you hold will also expire. Most state licenses expire every two years and require a renewal fee. Note that unless the state specifically requires it, you will not be required to take CE courses for each state – just your home state.

Check out our Alaska Adjuster License Renewal guide for more details.

References and Links

Alaska Division of Insurance

P.O. Box 110805
Juneau, AK 99811-0805
United States
(907) 465-2515