Best States to Get Adjuster Licenses


To generate the greatest amount of work as an independent insurance adjuster, obtaining licenses in states outside your home state is crucial. These are called non-resident licenses

Non-resident licenses allow you to perform work as an insurance adjuster in the state without being a resident or making it your designated home state. Before you start applying for licenses in other states, however, there are some key considerations to be made. 

Licensing vs Non-Licensing vs Non-Reciprocating States 

Before getting into the best states to get adjuster licenses, you need to understand the differences between the states in terms of licensing. This is key to prioritizing states with favorable licensing practices, understanding the licensing process, and obtaining the necessary credentials to work in the state.


If you don’t yet have your home state adjuster license, this is the first place to start. Use our Adjuster Licensing Guide to get your first license, then revisit this page when you’re ready.

Licensing States 

Licensing states are relatively straightforward. In order to do business in the state as an insurance adjuster, you are required to secure an insurance adjuster license.

Some states, however, offer what is called reciprocity with other states. This allows adjusters with equivalent licenses to obtain an insurance adjuster license in the state without passing an exam.

It’s important to note that you can’t get a reciprocal license unless you have a home state license

Non-Licensing States

Non-licensing states do not require a license to perform as a claims adjuster in the state. Therefore, you do not need to worry about securing credentials to operate in these states. Examples include Tennessee, Colorado, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Ohio — to name a few. 

Non-Reciprocating States 

Non-reciprocating states require insurance adjusters to pass an exam to obtain a license in the state regardless of active licenses in other states. This makes the barrier to entry for claims adjuster work in these states fairly high. These states include New York, California, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Take Action

Want to get the most out of your adjuster career? Subscribe to the Adjust This Newsletter for tips, insights, and industry news that will help you to stay on top of your game and maximize your income.

Top States for Claims Adjusters 

The best states to get your non-resident licenses are partially unique to you. Factors like your location, IA firm affiliation, and willingness to travel will inform the states that work best for you.

The first two recommendations below – IA firm recommended and surrounding states –  are relevant to any adjuster. We recommend you explore these states first.

The last three are groups of states that all share a specific risk or geographic location. If you live in or near any of the states in these groups, the other states in that group are excellent target states to get licenses in.

Check out our guide: Adjuster License Requirements by State

IA Firm Recommended States

The priority states you should secure an insurance adjuster license in are states you have guaranteed work. To find these states, you need to talk to your Independent Adjuster (IA) Firm. 

An IA Firm can provide you with information about the states they have a need in or areas that have the highest likelihood of work. Target these states first to ensure you are at the top of the list when your firm is assigning work to their adjusters. 

Surrounding States 

The states bordering your home state should also be on your list of states to secure a license in. Getting licensed in the surrounding states opens you up to travel to neighboring areas to land work whether through your IA firm or independently. 

Additionally, if your state shares reciprocity with any surrounding states, it will make obtaining the necessary license easier. This means more work in a shorter time frame.

Hurricane States 

Adjusters working in catastrophe adjusting should be seeking states that will yield the most work. Hurricane states should be at the top of your list if you are a claims adjuster of this kind. After a hurricane hits, adjusters are a necessity to help citizens work through insurance claims and get back to some semblance of normalcy. 

Furthermore, when firms assign claims adjusters to areas that have been hit by a catastrophe such as a hurricane, you are far more likely to be one of the chosen adjusters if you are licensed in the corresponding state. Hurricane states include Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina.

Eastern Seaboard

Unfortunately, eastern seaboard states, or states on the east coast, are hit frequently with natural disasters of various types. This requires insurance adjusters to be ready to investigate claims in the aftermath of catastrophe. These states include Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Maine. 

Hail States

A severe hail storm causes damages to property, auto, and much more, resulting in a myriad of insurance claims. Therefore, insurance adjusters seeking states with opportunity for work should consider hail states when securing licenses. These states include Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Adjuster Licensing FAQ

Which adjuster makes the most money?

Salaried insurance adjusters investigating claims for damage inside and auto damage on average have higher salary maximums. Most independent insurance adjuster’s income is dependent on the amount of claims the adjuster works on in a time period and the time required to investigate those claims. However, it is entirely possible for these adjusters to make over six-figures a year. 

Can I use my Texas adjuster license in another state?

Texas shares reciprocity with several states. This means if Texas is your designated home state, there are many states you are able to secure a license from by simply applying — no exam required. 

Does Florida require an adjuster license? 

Yes, you’ll need a Florida insurance adjuster license to work in this field within the state.