How to Get a Connecticut Adjuster License

Author: Ethan Peyton

To get your Connecticut Adjuster license, you’ll need to follow a few steps. These steps include taking a Connecticut adjuster course, passing the state adjuster exam, filing your application, and paying licensing fees.

We’ve put together this step-by-step guide to ensure your licensing journey is as simple and inexpensive as possible. This guide also covers adjuster requirements and prerequisites along with steps to take after getting your license. 

Be sure to bookmark this page so you can reference the steps as you need them.


We recommend AdjusterPro adjuster courses to prepare for your exam. Connecticut courses start at $179.

Connecticut Adjuster License Requirements

Before you begin the steps to getting your Connecticut adjuster license there’s a few requirements you’ll need to ensure you qualify.

  • You must be 18 years of age or older
  • You must be a resident of Connecticut (non-residents will need to apply for a different license)
  • You must be financially responsible and of good moral character

The state of Connecticut only offers a property and casualty (P&C) adjuster license, which allows you to work in the lines of property and casualty as well as workers’ compensation.

Connecticut Adjuster License Course

Before you apply for the license or take the exam, you should consider taking a Connecticut Adjuster License course.

This course will do a few things:

  1. Fill your required pre-license education hours
  2. Prepare you to pass the exam

Some courses offer not only test prep and pre-license credits, but instruction on the day-to-day operations and duties of an adjuster. If you don’t have any experience handling claims, it would be wise to consider these higher-level courses.


We recommend AdjusterPro as our adjuster course of choice. Courses start at $179.

How to Get a Connecticut Adjuster License

To get a Connecticut Adjuster license, you’ll complete your adjuster course, pass the exam, submit your fingerprints, and file your application and fees.

A common question we receive is: How much is the Connecticut adjuster license? Prices will vary depending on the type of license, but the most common license will cost as little as $280.

Another common question is: How long does it take to get the Connecticut adjuster license? If you take the proper time to study and pass the exam on your first attempt, the process should take around 3-4 weeks.

Step 1: Connecticut Adjuster License Course

The first step to getting your adjuster license is taking your test-prep course.

As mentioned above, we recommend AdjusterPro’s courses.

The prices of these courses range depending on the provider and level of coursework, but generally start around $179.

Be sure that you’re comfortable with the material in the coursework before moving on to your state exam. AdjusterPro recommends that you consistently score 90% or better on the course quizzes before taking the real test.

Step 2: Connecticut Adjuster Exam

Once you’ve completed your adjuster pre-license education course, the next step is to pass the Connecticut Adjuster Exam.

To register to take the exam, use the Pearson VUE Connecticut website

The price for each attempt of the exam is $70

You must score at least 70% on the exam to pass. 

Adjuster License TypeCostQuestionsTime AllottedExam Outline
Property and Casualty Adjuster (P&C)$701002 hoursExam Outline

Is the Connecticut Adjuster Exam Hard?

A common question we receive is: Is the adjuster exam hard?

Difficulty is a subjective matter, but we answer this question with: Yes. The exam is intentionally tough.

Don’t let this discourage you. Keep in mind that most folks who take this exam haven’t taken any formal tests since high school or college. The state intentionally makes these tests difficult in the hopes of protecting the average citizen from working with adjusters who don’t understand the laws and guidelines surrounding insurance.

The key to passing the exam is to take your exam-prep course seriously and allow yourself time for in-depth study. 

Check out our Adjuster Exam Study Guide for tips and strategies to pass your exam on the first attempt.

Step 3: Connecticut Adjuster Application – CDI

Once you’ve passed your exam, the next step is to apply for your license.

The fee to submit an application is $130. 

Apply for your license using the NIPR Connecticut Insurance Application page.

Checking Your Application Status 

If everything goes smoothly, you’ll receive a message from the licensing department within 7-10 business days containing your license number and any other pertinent information. You can check the status of your license online using the Connecticut’s State Based Systems (SBS) portal.

Congratulations! You are now a licensed insurance adjuster in Connecticut!

After Getting Your License

Now that you’re licensed, you can get to work! Most folks take one of two paths at this point. They choose to become an independent adjuster or a staff adjuster.

The main difference is that staff adjusters are employed by one firm, usually an insurance company, whereas independent adjusters operate as contractors, normally being “rostered” to multiple Independent Adjusting (IA) firms.

If you’re interested in becoming a staff adjuster, check out the current job openings on StateRequirement Jobs

If the independent adjuster role is more alluring (we think it is), check out AdjusterPro’s IA Directory.

Adjuster Certifications

To be considered a great candidate for IA firms or insurance companies, you’ll need to prove that you know how to actually work an insurance claim. Certifications show that you know your stuff and will give you a strong advantage over other candidates. 

While there are several adjuster certifications available, focus on Xactimate and Insurance Company certs first.

Xactimate Certifications

Xactimate is the industry standard software used by adjusters and insurance companies. There are three levels of certification offered by Xactimate

You should strongly consider levels one and two now, and look into level three after you’ve spent some time in the field.

Insurance Company Adjuster Certifications

Large insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate, Liberty Mutual, and others require that adjusters (staff or independent) get their specific certifications. 

To get these certs, you’ll need to be on the roster of an IA firm that works with that company. They offer courses to their adjusters throughout the year. Staff adjusters that work for the insurance company will be provided training and certification through their employer.

It’s widely accepted that State Farm’s adjuster certification is the most valuable insurance company cert. They are the largest insurer in the US, and therefore have more claims than other insurers.

Out-of-State and Reciprocal Licensing

Most claims, especially catastrophe (CAT) claims come from weather events. And since you can’t control the weather, you should get licenses in states outside your home state. These are called Non-Resident Adjuster Licenses.

IA firms are much more likely to both roster you and select you for work if you are licensed in states where they operate. If you’re already on a roster or two, talk with your contact there to see if they recommend a state to get licensed in.

The best states to start with are generally those that neighbor your home state. For Connecticut, this includes:

  • Rhode Island
  • Massachusetts (no license required)
  • New Jersey (no license required)
  • New York

All these states (except New York) offer what’s called reciprocation with Connecticut. This means that you don’t need to take a pre-licensing course or pass an exam in order to get their license. All you need to do is apply, pay the fee, and you’ll be licensed quickly.

License Renewal and Continuing Education

The Connecticut Adjuster License expires every two years. To keep your license active, you must pay the renewal fee of $80

Any additional non-resident licenses you hold will also expire. Most state licenses expire every two years and require a renewal fee. Note that unless the state specifically requires it, you will not be required to take CE courses for each state – just your home state.

For instructions, use our Connecticut Adjuster License Renewal guide.

References and Links

Connecticut Insurance Department

153 Market Street, 7th Floor,
Hartford, Connecticut 06103
(860) 297-3800