How to Get a Vermont Adjuster License

Author: Ethan Peyton

To get your Vermont Adjuster license, you’ll need to follow a few steps. These steps include taking a Vermont adjuster course, passing the state adjuster exam, filing your application and paying licensing fees, and submitting your fingerprints.

We’ve put together this step-by-step guide to ensure your licensing journey is as simple and inexpensive as possible. This guide also covers adjuster requirements and prerequisites along with steps to take after getting your license. 

Be sure to bookmark this page so you can reference the steps as you need them.

Quick Tip

We recommend AdjusterPro adjuster courses to prepare for your exam. Vermont courses start at $179.

Vermont Adjuster License Requirements

Before you begin the steps to getting your Vermont adjuster license there’s a few requirements you’ll need to ensure you qualify.

  • You must be 18 years of age or older
  • You must be a resident of Vermont (non-residents will need to apply for a different license)
  • You must be able to pass a background check (more info in step 4)
  • You must complete two years of relevant experience

Along with these requirements, you’ll also need to choose which lines of insurance you’d like to work within.

  • Property and Casualty Adjuster (P&C)
  • Workers’ Compensation Adjuster (WC)
  • Crop Adjuster

Vermont Adjuster License Course

Before you apply for the license or take the exam, you’ll need to take a Vermont Adjuster License course.

This course will do a few things:

  1. Fill your required pre-license education hours
  2. Prepare you to pass the exam

Some courses offer not only test prep and pre-license credits, but instruction on the day-to-day operations and duties of an adjuster. If you don’t have any experience handling claims, it would be wise to consider these higher-level courses.


We recommend AdjusterPro as our adjuster course of choice. Courses start at $179.

How to Get a Vermont Adjuster License

To get a Vermont Adjuster license, you’ll complete your adjuster course, meet experience requirements, pass the exam, then file your application and fees.

A common question we receive is: How much is the Vermont adjuster license? Prices will vary depending on the type of license, but the most common license will cost as little as $300.

Another common question is: How long does it take to get the Vermont adjuster license? If you take the proper time to study and pass the exam on your first attempt, the process should take around 3-4 weeks.

Step 1: Meet Experience Requirements  

The Vermont Department of Financial Regulation (VDFR) requires adjuster applicants to complete pre-license requirements before applying or sitting for the exam.

The experience or accreditation required is dependent on the type of license you’re applying for:

  • Workers’ compensation adjusters must have at least two years of experience in or special training handling in Workers’ Compensation. 
  • Property and casualty adjusters must have at least two years of experience in, or special training, handling loss claims.
  • Crop adjusters may be required to be certified as having passed a proficiency examination approved by the Federal Risk Management Agency.

Step 2: Vermont Adjuster License Course

Once you’ve completed you experience requirement, the next step is to take a test-prep course.

As mentioned above, we recommend AdjusterPro’s courses.

The prices of these courses range depending on the provider and level of coursework, but generally start around $179.

Be sure that you’re comfortable with the material in the coursework before moving on to your state exam. AdjusterPro recommends that you consistently score 90% or better on the course quizzes before taking the real test.

Step 3: Vermont Adjuster Exam

Once you’ve completed your adjuster pre-license education course, the next step is to pass the Vermont Adjuster Exam.

To register to take the exam, use the Vermont Prometric website

The price for each attempt of the exam is $65

The Vermont Adjuster Exam passing score is 70%.

Depending on the type of license you’re working toward, the number of questions and time allotted for the exam differ. See the table below for details.

Adjuster License TypeCostQuestionsTime AllottedExam Outline
Property and Casualty Adjuster (P&C)$651502 hours and 30 minutesExam Outline
Workers’ Compensation Adjuster$65501 hourExam Outline
Crop AdjusterN/AN/AN/ANo Exam

Is the Vermont Adjuster Exam Hard?

A common question we receive is: Is the adjuster exam hard?

Difficulty is a subjective matter, but we answer this question with: Yes. The exam is intentionally tough.

Don’t let this discourage you. Keep in mind that most folks who take this exam haven’t taken any formal tests since high school or college. The state intentionally makes these tests difficult in the hopes of protecting the average citizen from working with adjusters who don’t understand the laws and guidelines surrounding insurance.

The key to passing the exam is to take your exam-prep course seriously and allow yourself time for in-depth study. 

Check out our Adjuster Exam Study Guide for tips and strategies to pass your exam on the first attempt.

Step 4: Vermont Adjuster Application – VDFR

Once you’ve passed your exam, the next step is to apply for your license.

The total cost to submit an application is $150 for a license application fee of $30.00 and a license fee of $120.00

Apply for your license online using the NIPR Vermont Insurance Application page.

Or, you can apply in person or by mail by submitting the following forms: 

Along with two checks, one $120 check for your license fee and one $30 for your application fee, both payable to VT Dept. of Financial Regulation. Mail all documents and checks to the following address: 

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation
Insurance Division – Producer Licensing
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101

Checking the Status of Your Application

If everything goes smoothly, you’ll receive a message from the licensing department within two or so days containing your license number and any other pertinent information. You can check the status of your license online through the NIPR Vermont website.

Congratulations! You are now a licensed insurance adjuster in Vermont!

After Getting Your License

Now that you’re licensed, you can get to work! Most folks take one of two paths at this point. They choose to become an independent adjuster or a staff adjuster.

The main difference is that staff adjusters are employed by one firm, usually an insurance company, whereas independent adjusters operate as contractors, normally being “rostered” to multiple Independent Adjusting (IA) firms.

If you’re interested in becoming a staff adjuster, check out the current job openings on StateRequirement Jobs

If the independent adjuster role is more alluring (we think it is), check out AdjusterPro’s IA Directory

Adjuster Certifications

To be considered a great candidate for IA firms or insurance companies, you’ll need to prove that you know how to actually work an insurance claim. Certifications show that you know your stuff and will give you a strong advantage over other candidates. 

While there are several adjuster certifications available, focus on Xactimate and Insurance Company certs first.

Xactimate Certifications

Xactimate is the industry standard software used by adjusters and insurance companies. There are three levels of certification offered by Xactimate

You should strongly consider levels one and two now, and look into level three after you’ve spent some time in the field.

Insurance Company Adjuster Certifications

Large insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate, Liberty Mutual, and others require that adjusters (staff or independent) get their specific certifications. 

To get these certs, you’ll need to be on the roster of an IA firm that works with that company. They offer courses to their adjusters throughout the year. Staff adjusters that work for the insurance company will be provided training and certification through their employer.

It’s widely accepted that State Farm’s adjuster certification is the most valuable insurance company cert. They are the largest insurer in the US, and therefore have more claims than other insurers.

Out-of-State and Reciprocal Licensing

Most claims, especially catastrophe (CAT) claims come from weather events. And since you can’t control the weather, you should get licenses in states outside your home state. These are called Non-Resident Adjuster Licenses.

IA firms are much more likely to both roster you and select you for work if you are licensed in states where they operate. If you’re already on a roster or two, talk with your contact there to see if they recommend a state to get licensed in.

The best states to start with are generally those that neighbor your home state. For Vermont, this includes:

  • New York
  • New Hampshire 
  • Massachusetts (no license required) 
  • Maine

Maine and New Hampshire offer what’s called reciprocation with Vermont. This means that you don’t need to take a pre-licensing course or pass an exam in order to get their license. All you need to do is apply, pay the fee, and you’ll be licensed quickly.

License Renewal and Continuing Education

The Vermont Adjuster License expires every two years. To keep your license active, you must pay the renewal fee of $120.

Any additional non-resident licenses you hold will also expire. Most state licenses expire every two years and require a renewal fee. Note that unless the state specifically requires it, you will not be required to take CE courses for each state – just your home state.

For instructions, use our Vermont Adjuster License Renewal guide.

References and Links

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation

Insurance Division – Producer Licensing
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101